Wednesday, May 21, 2014

What my children have taught me.

Hey, y'all!

As a mother, I am constantly teaching my children. I teach them manners, how to use the potty, their ABC's, and just the everyday need-to-know basics. But, the whole time I am teaching them, they are actually teaching me.

Today I took my 3 year old son to the "sand park", as he likes to call it. It's a 70-degree day, with the sun shining through the clouds, but he insisted on wearing his rain boots. As I watched him cheerfully walking and balancing on the way to the park, I started to think "He doesn't care what anyone thinks, he does what makes him happy!" This is something my children have taught me: do what makes you happy. If it means wearing the rain boots in the sunshiney day, wear them. Because it does not matter what anyone else thinks, as long as we are happy with ourselves. And Kaleb, well Kaleb is happy. And why shouldn't he be, he was doing what he loved.


Speaking of rain boots: Have you ever went puddle jumpin'?! If not, I suggest you do it. The kids and I took advantage of a rainstorm a few weeks ago, by grabbing our rain boots and jumping in the puddles left over from the torrential downpour. Which brings me to another thing my children have taught me: Just "let it go". Forget the mess you have to clean up, skip out on the laundry for a day, and grab your rain boots and jump in the puddles. You will be amazed at how much fun it can be to 'just be'. As mothers, we can get so caught up in our daily chores that we forget to live. My children will grow up one day, and I will wish I would have just put down the laundry basket and built a fort (because who doesn't love forts?!).

My children just simply love life. They take advantage of every possible adventure, and it doesn't necessarily have to be big, but they go for it. They do what makes them happy, even if it means wearing rain boots in the sunshine, or making a mess: they just live.

My challenge for all the moms reading this is to do something with your children today and forget the household chores! You would be amaze at how you can learn from them. And don't worry, the laundry will be waiting for you tomorrow, I promise. ;-)

Bye, y'all!
Lindsey

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this hit hard! I am always so focused on making sure things get done instead of enjoying the few occasions I can't with my children because they grow up so fast! I am also the type of person who always has to match or physically make sense with my clothes...lol. I, myself, does worry about what people think of me or my children and you're right...what does it matter as long as they are happy. We live our whole lives trying to make everyone else happy and put ourselves on the back burner! Thanks girl for putting this out there. Definitely food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some of the reasons you were the most wonderful child care giver!!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete